Public Pensions in Washington
Systems, Plans and Programs
Systems and Programs Administered
- Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS)
- Teachers' Retirement System (TRS)
- School Employees' Retirement System (SERS)
- Law Enforcement Officers' and Fire Fighters' Retirement System (LEOFF)
- Washington State Patrol Retirement System (WSPRS)
- Public Safety Employees' Retirement System (PSERS)
- Judges' Retirement Fund (JRF)
- Judicial Retirement System (JRS)
- Judicial Retirement Account (JRA)
- Deferred Compensation Program (DCP)
- PERS Plan 1 and TRS Plan 1 are defined benefit plans that provide full pension benefits based on years of service – members are eligible after 30 years of employment.
- PERS Plan 2, SERS Plan 2, TRS Plan 2, and PSERS Plan 2 are defined benefit plans that provide full pension benefits after the member reaches age 65.
- LEOFF Plans 1 and 2 and WSPRS Plans 1 and 2 are defined benefit plans that provide full pension benefits based on the member’s age at retirement.
- PERS Plan 3, SERS Plan 3 and TRS Plan 3 are defined benefit plans that include a member-funded defined contribution component. Full pension benefits are provided after the member reaches age 65.