The checklist below presents a series of questions to help you determine the eligibility of your positions and personnel. As you respond to the questions, you will be directed to the next question. You can restart the checklist at any time.
Question: What type of employee are you evaluating?
- Law Enforcement Officer
- Fire Fighter or Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Volunteer Fire Fighter
Question: Does the employee occupy one of these positions?
- City police officer
- Town marshal or deputy marshal
- County sheriff
- Deputy sheriff
- Chief Criminal Deputy
- Chief Civil Deputy
- Jail Superintendent
- Port district general authority law enforcement officer (effective January 1, 1994)
- State university or college general authority law enforcement officer (effective January 1, 1994)
- Commissioned public safety officer or director of public safety of a city or town (effective January 1, 1993)
Question: Is the employee in a:
- Uniformed fire fighter position
- EMT position
- Position that directly supervises uniformed fire fighters
Question: Do you require fire fighters to pass a civil service examination?
Question: Did the employee pass the civil service examination?
Question: The employee is ineligible for LEOFF membership. If you are a PERS or PSERS employer test for eligibility in PERS and PSERS. Do you want to evaluate another employee for LEOFF membership? Choosing ‘yes’ restarts the checklist from the beginning.
Question: The employee is eligible for LEOFF membership. However, there are rare situations where the employee may meet an exception and be ineligible for LEOFF membership.
Do you want to review the LEOFF eligibility exceptions (you should review this list at least once during this process)? If you click yes to review the list, once you have completed your review please close the window and click continue to move to the next question.
- No or continue
Answer: Go to PDF copy of the exceptions document.
Question: Do you want to evaluate another LEOFF position? Choosing ‘yes’ restarts the checklist from the beginning.
You have completed evaluating all your LEOFF employees. If during this process you discovered that you have been reporting an ineligible employee there are some steps you MUST take:
- Immediately stop reporting the employee in the ineligible position.
- Contact Employer Support Services to determine if corrections are necessary.
Do you wish to evaluate a position for eligibility in a different retirement system?