DRSN 09-016, No Cost Interruptive Military Service
- Notice No.: 09-016
- Date: August 24, 2009
- Applies to: Employers
- Subject: No Cost Interruptive Military Service
No Cost Interruptive Military Service
House Bill 1548, effective July 26, 2009, provides up to 5 years of service credit for time served in a period of war at no cost to the member. These changes are retroactive but must be interruptive to their service.
The law requires employer contributions and interest to be charged in association with the bill. Employers may also begin to receive invoices for their contributions on historical time. Employer interest will be billed prospectively.
The law applies to members of:
- Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS) Plans 2 and 3
- School Employees’ Retirement System (SERS) Plans 2 and 3
- Teachers’ Retirement System TRS Plans 2 and 3
- Law Enforcement Officers’ and Fire Fighters’ Retirement System (LEOFF) Plan 2
- Washington State Patrol Retirement System (WSPRS) Plan 2
- Public Safety Employees’ Retirement System (PSERS)
- Survivors of eligible members and eligible members incapacitated as a result of their interruptive military service may also apply
- Will not be retired or withdrawn
- Have initiated the process for re-employment with the same employer no later than 90 days from the date of honorable discharge
- Provide proof to the Department that their interruptive military service was during a period of war as defined in RCW 41.04.005
If an employee has previously purchased Interruptive Military Service they may request a review and possible refund from our department.
Resources for Employees
Employees with questions regarding this law or wish to apply should contact membership services locally at 360-664-7000 or toll free 1-800-547-6657.
If you have any questions regarding this DRS Notice, please contact Employer Support Services at (360) 664-7200, option 2, or 1-800-547-6657, option 6, option 2; or email us.
Assistant Director of Administrative Services