Your own account management is the first and last line of defense from fraud to your retirement account. Here are some steps you can take to keep your account secure.
1. Create an account. Yep, that’s it. Setting up your own username and password will prevent someone else from creating an account for you, using your information. If you have DCP, Plan 3 or JRA, you’ll also want to establish an account through the record keeper, even if you never plan to use it. See investment accounts below for more information.
2. Use a unique password. Never use the same password for your retirement account that you use for any other account.
3. Keep your contact information updated with DRS. We use this information to help verify you are you. Update through your DRS account or through your employer.
4. Verify before sharing information. Never give out your personal information to a person or company without verifying they are who they say. An easy way to do this with DRS is to contact us directly.
5. Report any suspicious account activity to DRS.
For more tips and guidance, see the state Attorney General’s Consumer Protection.
If you do not want an online account or you suspect fraud has taken place in your account, you can have your online retirement account(s) locked. This will prevent any online access to your account (including your own).
Lock your DRS retirement benefit account from all online use by calling 800-547-6657.
To lock your DCP, Plan 3 or JRA investment account from online access, contact the record keeper.
All DRS employees are trained in best practices for securing your account information and understanding the threats to your personal information. Team members refresh their security awareness training annually and are tested regularly through anti-phishing campaigns, reinforced by security messages and internal newsletter articles.
Our customer interactions filter through DRS anti-fraud work processes and securely administered technology. Your online account includes multi-factor authentication (MFA). MFA allows many elements (like email, text messaging, etc.) to be combined uniquely and used to confirm and authorize access.
The DRS security culture of testing and assessing for vulnerabilities reinforces successful cyber hygiene habits and team member performance. Because safe computing awareness and best practices can powerfully counter online fraud, DRS is committed to continuous improvement in concert with agency values of customer focus, team member engagement and vigilant stewardship.
DRS works with the record keeper Voya Financial to maintain investment accounts for DCP, Plan 3 and JRA customers. Customers access investment account information on Voya’s secure site, which is separate from DRS’ Online Account Access site. This means you potentially have two ways to log into investment retirement accounts: through DRS accounts or directly through the record keeper. This also means it’s important that you be the one to create both these accounts – even if you never plan to use them. In the financial industry, fraud sometimes happens when accounts haven’t been activated. Someone will pretend to be you, create an account with your information and then have access to your retirement account.
Simply creating an account, both through DRS and the record keeper, can substantially reduce the risk that someone will access your account without your permission. When you enroll in a DRS plan with investment account access, you’ll receive a PIN letter mailed to you from Voya and can use this to set up your online account.
Voya Financial maintains a very stringent security and compliance program. This program includes an incident response team who collaborates with the DRS Security Team to ensure any issues that arise are quickly identified and addressed. Find out more on Voya’s Security Website.
Voya’s S.A.F.E. (Secure Accounts for Everyone) Guarantee
Voya Financial offers an added layer of security to protect your investment account from fraudulent activity. And you are enrolled in this protection when you activate your online investment account through Voya. By establishing an online investment account and practicing safe security habits, you’ll remain eligible for this guarantee. Get more details on Voya’s Guarantee.