January Plan 3 transfer window
The retirement plan you choose is permanent. There is an exception for active customers who joined Plan 2 before a certain date. Each January, eligible members of Plan 2 can choose to make a permanent transfer to Plan 3.
TRS Plan 2 Transfer to Plan 3
- TRS Plan 2 members who began service before July 1, 2007.
PERS Plan 2 Transfer to Plan 3
- State and higher education employees who began service before March 1, 2002
- Local government employees who began service before Sept. 1, 2002
SERS Plan 2 Transfer to Plan 3
- SERS Plan 2 members (without past PERS Plan 2 service) who first established membership before July 1, 2007
- SERS Plan 2 members (with past PERS Plan 2 service) who first established membership before August 1, 2009
If this applies to you, and you would like to transfer from Plan 2 to Plan 3, complete a Member Transfer form and submit it to your employer by Jan. 31. DRS will transfer your Plan 2 contributions, and any interest earned, to a Plan 3 investment account.
For more information about the differences between Plan 2 and Plan 3, see Plan Choice.