We are working to resolve intermittent issues with online account access. If your log in is unsuccessful, please try again shortly.
Or contact us for assistance with your retirement information.

Public records request notification for LEOFF retirees and beneficiaries

July 20, 2021

The Department of Retirement Systems has received a public records request for information about individuals who retired from a DRS-administered retirement system. The request is from the Retired Seattle Police Officers’ Association, which writes:

We are asking as a public records request for a current listing of all LEOFF I and LEOFF II retirees or surviving beneficiaries where they retired from the Seattle Police Department.

This information is for the internal use of the Retired Seattle Police Officers’ Association to verify our membership list. While we are confident of our LEOFF 1 information we are often not advised of the retirement of LEOFF II officers. For the last 75 years we have had an annual Retired Officers’ Banquet and it is our desire to extend an invitation to all retired officers or their surviving spouse.

Upon review, DRS has determined only the members names and retirement dates are public and are not exempt from disclosure per the state of Washington’s Public Records Act. We will not disclose surviving beneficiaries’ information. Accordingly, the information listed below will be released to the requesting organization on August 6, 2021.

Information to be released will contain the following information:

  1. Retirees full name
  2. Retirement system/plan
  3. Entry date
  4. Retirement date

If you are the subject of a public records request, no action is required of you. If you want additional information or have questions about a request, please contact DRS at 844-704-6780 or drs.pdrnotice@drs.wa.gov.

A note about injunctive relief

DRS is often asked if individuals who are the subject of a records request can seek an injunction to prevent the release of their records.

Under RCW 42.56.540, an individual may seek an injunction in the superior court for the county where they reside, or in Thurston County Superior Court, if the release of records “would clearly not be in the public interest and would substantially and irreparably damage any person, or would substantially and irreparably damage vital governmental functions.”

To prevent the release of records in the current requests, DRS would need to be served with an injunction prior to the release, which will occur August 6, 2021.

Whether to seek an injunction is a decision that must be made by each individual. State agencies cannot provide advice on this matter. Individuals should be aware that the superior courts may charge certain fees or costs for an injunction; they may want to obtain the advice of private counsel before deciding whether to pursue an injunction.

Updating Your Address and/or Name

Retirees, inactive members, beneficiaries and legal-order payees: You can update your address from your online retirement account. Just select “Address” from the welcome screen. If you need to update your name, fill out and send in a printed form as well as a copy of documentation showing the change.

Active members: Update your name and/or address through your employer. That new information will soon appear in your online retirement account.

Direct Deposit

Set up and manage direct deposit of your benefit payments from your online retirement account. Just follow the “Direct Deposit” directions under “My Account” in the navigation menu.

(If you prefer to fill out and mail in a printed form, select this link.)

Beneficiary Designation

Members, you can update your beneficiary information from your online retirement account. Select “My Account” in the navigation menu and then “View/Edit” beside “Beneficiary.”

(If you prefer to fill out and mail in a printed form, select this link.)