Elected or Governor-Appointed Official

Use this page to access information about the plans and to enroll or opt out of retirement plan membership.

As an elected or governor-appointed official, you are eligible to join a state retirement plan. To participate, you need to earn at least 90 times the state minimum wage each month. Your contributions will begin the first day of your current term and continue until you separate from employment.

Note: If you are a city manager or administrator, you must choose to participate within 30 days from your hire date or your costs could increase significantly. Contact DRS for more information.

Membership information

The retirement plans vary by the type of official position you hold: local, state or governor-appointed. See the following links for information specific to your plan. If you have never been a member of a DRS pension plan, select the PERS Plans 2 and 3 link for your type of office.

Local Elected Official

You were elected or appointed to a position with a local government

State Elected Official

You were elected to statewide office (including election to the state Legislature)

Governor-Appointed Official

Your position was appointed by the governor and is subject to confirmation by the state Legislature

For questions or assistance, contact the DRS Elected Officials unit at 800-547-6657, ext. 47966, or email

How to enroll

To enroll in an elected or governor-appointed official retirement plan, submit the following form:

Application for Membership as an Elected or Appointed Official

When we receive your form, we’ll notify your employer of your membership choice.

How to opt out

To opt out of an elected or governor-appointed official retirement plan, select the opt out option on the membership form. Mail it to DRS.

Rules vary by position for TRS Plan 1 members. Please contact the Elected Official Team at 360-664-7966 in the Olympia area or toll-free at 800-547-6657, extension 47966.

Beneficiary Designation

Members, you can update your beneficiary information from your online retirement account. Select “My Account” in the navigation menu and then “View/Edit” beside “Beneficiary.”

(If you prefer to fill out and mail in a printed form, select this link.)