WSPRS Plan 1 Non-Interruptive Military Service Credit

Updated January 2009

What is non-interruptive military service credit? 

Non-interruptive military service credit is service credit available to those who served in the U.S. military prior to becoming Washington State Patrol Retirement System (WSPRS) members. If you qualify to receive non-interruptive military service credit, you may apply for it at any time prior to retirement. No payments are required. 

Am I eligible to receive non-interruptive military service credit? 

To receive credit for military service performed prior to becoming a WSPRS Plan 1 member, you must: 

  • have at least 25 years of WSPRS Plan 1 service,
  • be a veteran,
  • have been a participating WSPRS Plan 1 member on or after Feb. 25, 1972, and
  • have received an honorable discharge.

If you do not meet all of the above requirements, you do not qualify for non-interruptive military service credit. 

You may combine interruptive and non-interruptive service to receive up to five years of military service credit. However, there are exceptions to this rule that allow members to combine types of service to receive more than five years of credit. If you have questions, contact DRS

What service counts toward the 25-year eligibility requirement? 

Service that can be included in the 25 years of WSPRS Plan 1 service that you must have in order to receive non-interruptive military service: 

  • Any WSPRS service earned while employed by the Washington State Patrol,
  • Any interruptive military service time that has been credited by DRS,
  • Any service credit earned while a cadet in the Washington State Patrol, and
  • Any interruptive military service credit earned while a cadet.

It does not include: 

  • Service credit earned in a retirement system other than WSPRS, with the exception of cadet service in PERS, and
  • Withdrawn service credit that has not been restored.

Do I meet the definition of “veteran?”

You are a veteran for purposes of receiving WSPRS Plan 1 military service credit if you: 

  • Received an honorable discharge or a discharge for physical reasons with an honorable record, AND
  • Have one or more years of active federal military service in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States, OR
  • Have less than one full year of service and are
    • Discharged with a disability incurred in the line of duty, or
    • Discharged at the convenience of the government.

What qualifies as active military service? 

The following types of military service qualify as active federal military service: 

  • Service in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or their Reserve units (including two-week annual training for reservists);
  • Full-time service in the United States Coast Guard;
  • Service in the Army National Guard or Air National Guard.

What is the maximum amount of military service credit available to me? 

You may receive up to five years of credit for military service performed prior to your enrollment in WSPRS Plan 1. 

Federal law provides exceptions that allow those who have served more than the maximum years of service stated above to receive additional service credit. Contact DRS for further information.

How do I contact DRS? 

To find out if you are eligible to receive non-interruptive service credit, send your request for a determination along with documentation of your military service, such as a DD 214 form, to your retirement system for review. 

If you have questions, contact DRS.

Beneficiary Designation

Members, you can update your beneficiary information from your online retirement account. Select “My Account” in the navigation menu and then “View/Edit” beside “Beneficiary.”

(If you prefer to fill out and mail in a printed form, select this link.)