We are working to resolve intermittent issues with online account access. If your log in is unsuccessful, please try again shortly.
Or contact us for assistance with your retirement information.

FAQs - TRS Plan 1

1. I plan to retire in two years. What should I do to prepare and when should I do it?
It’s never too early to begin preparing and we’re here to help. Be sure to take a look at our checklist of retirement planning steps that includes not only the “what,” but also the “when.”
2. When am I considered retired?

You’re considered retired once you begin receiving a retirement benefit. This is usually the first of the month after the month you’ve separated from employment.

If you separate from employment, but wait to start drawing a benefit, you’ll be considered retired once you do begin receiving it.

TRS 1 Qualifier

If you are not currently employed in a TRS covered position, your retirement date is your birth date.

3. I’m close to retiring. Can I increase the amount I contribute to my DCP account?
There are two catch-up options you can use to defer additional money to your DCP account. For details, call us at 1-888-327-5596 and select option 2.
4. How long will my benefit last?
You are guaranteed a retirement benefit for your lifetime and, if you choose a survivor option, for the lifetime of your survivor.
5. Once I retire, when will I get my first benefit check?

Our goal is for you to receive your benefit payment by the end of the month.

If you choose direct deposit, and it has become effective, you will receive your first benefit payment by the last banking day in the month you retire (a banking day is any day the bank is open) .

Direct deposit example:
You retired on March 1, and the last banking day of the month is March 31. You will receive your payment by March 31. See When am I considered retired?

If you don’t choose direct deposit, we will mail your paper check with the intention of it reaching you by the end of the month.

Paper payment example:
You retired on March 1. You should receive your paper payment by March 31 or shortly after. Sometimes, the US mail may cause a delay. See When am I considered retired?

Please note: We’re only able to send your check to one bank account. If you would like your payment deposited in two accounts, be sure to arrange with your bank for an automatic transfer of funds.

6. What kinds of deductions can be taken from my benefit?

Deductions to your retirement benefit check can include:

  • Income tax authorized by the withholding form you submit with your retirement application
  • Health insurance premiums
  • Life insurance premiums
  • Combined Fund Drive contributions
  • Dues for retiree organizations
  • Any other approved deductions

The good news is – some of the payroll deductions you currently see (Social Security, Medicare) will not be taken from your retirement benefit.

7. When is the earliest I can start receiving my benefit?

It depends on your age and your service credit.

You can begin drawing your retirement benefit when you:

  • Have at least 30 service credit years, regardless of your age,
  • Are at least age 55 and have at least 25 service credit years, or
  • Are age 60 or older and have at least five service credit years.

You can retire earlier by forfeiting up to 45 days of sick leave. For example, if you have 45 days of sick leave and are age 60 or older, you may retire with four years and 10 months of service credit. (If you’ve cashed out the sick leave, however, you can’t use it for this purpose.) The sick leave won’t be part of your benefit calculation. If you plan to use sick leave to retire earlier, please call us before you leave your position.

You may also be able to use service credit earned in another state to retire earlier. To learn more, please see Can service credit I earned in another state be used to qualify for retirement?

8. When I retire, what will my monthly benefit be and how will it be calculated?

You can use your online account to estimate your benefit or, if you are within one year of retirement, please call us at (360) 664-7000 or 1-800-547-6657 to request a written estimate. Here is the formula we will use to calculate your monthly benefit:

2 percent x Average Final Compensation x Service Credit Years (maximum of 30 years) ÷ 12 = Monthly Benefit

Withdrawing even a portion of your contributions reduces your benefit (the only exception would be any contributions that members with more than 30 years of service make under the Post 30-Year Program).

9. How do I calculate my Average Final Compensation (AFC)?
Average your annual salary from the highest-paid two consecutive fiscal years (July 1 – June 30), no matter when that is in your career.
10. When I cash out my annual leave or roll it over, will the cash out be included in my benefit calculation?

If you are eligible to cash out leave, you may be able to use all or part of its value in the calculation of your Average Final Compensation (AFC). However, you can only include leave cash outs earned within your AFC period (your highest-paid two consecutive service credit fiscal years).

The administration of leave cash outs can vary, based on your position. Contact your payroll officer for more information.

11. How do I decide which benefit option to choose?

Each option has both benefits and consequences you will need to evaluate. Before making a decision, it’s a good idea to consult a licensed tax advisor, estate planner, or financial planner who specializes in retirement law and planning.

You’ll want to consider the following:

  • What is your target “income replacement” (the income you’ll need to maintain your standard of living) amount?
  • Will you have other retirement income?
  • If you are married, do you have life insurance for yourself and/or your spouse?
  • Can you live on less than the maximum retirement benefit?
  • What is your health status and life expectancy?
  • How much of an age difference is there between you and your spouse? (If your spouse is younger than you and you select a survivor option, the greater the age difference, the more your benefit is reduced.)
  • What will your health care costs be after retirement?
  • Do you expect any lifestyle changes that will affect how much income you need?
  • What is the status of your short-term and long-term debt?
  • Will you continue to support any dependents after retirement (such as children or elderly parents)?
12. If I choose the Optional COLA, how many years will it take before I recover the cost of this benefit?
There isn’t a simple answer that applies to everyone. We hope you’ll try the Optional COLA Calculator to get an estimate based on your information.
13. Can I roll my post 30-year contributions into DCP?
Yes. When you retire, you can roll any contributions you’ve made since enrolling in the Post 30-Year Program into DCP. Remember – when you withdraw DCP funds, you may need to pay taxes.
14. How do I start the retirement process?

You may retire online by signing up for your retirement account, or you may contact us for a paper application. The choice is yours.

Applying for retirement – online

Go to your online retirement account. Log in (or sign up if you haven’t already done so). The online retirement application will display only what you need based on your retirement system, plan and retirement eligibility rules. Follow the step-by-step instructions and electronically submit the application to us when you’re ready. If you encounter any issues during the process, don’t give up! Just give us a call and we will help walk you through it.

Applying for retirement – paper application packet

When you are ready to begin the process, request a retirement application from us. Be sure to submit the completed application with all required signatures and documentation, including proof of age for your survivor if you choose one of the options with a survivor benefit.

Remember, if you’re purchasing service credit, you’ll need to complete and turn in your purchase form with your retirement application.

If you prefer to talk with a Retirement Specialist in person, you can stop by our Olympia office anytime during our normal business hours of 8 am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday, excluding holidays. It works best if you first request an estimate and retirement packet and have enough time to look it over before you visit. That will give your Retirement Specialist specific information to go over with you and also ensure your questions are answered.

You can reach us at (360) 664-7000 or 800-547-6657. Here are directions and a map to DRS.

15. I received notification that says you have my application. When will I hear from you again?
During the month of your retirement, we will send you notification with the amount of your benefit and the date you can expect to receive your first payment. Any time you have questions, be sure to call.
16. I plan to move out of the country (or state) after retirement. Are there any special considerations I should be aware of?

Here are a few things to consider when moving outside the country or state:

  • Washington does not have a state income tax, but some states do. If you move to one of these states, be sure to check into the tax obligations for your retirement benefit.
  • Your health insurance coverage may be affected. To find out if it is, contact the insurance plan you intend to be covered by when you retire.
  • Direct deposits can only be made to banks within the United States. If you’re moving outside the country, be sure to find a bank that can process electronic deposits within the U.S.
17. Can service credit I earned in another state be used to qualify for retirement?
If you’re vested (five years of service credit), you can use service credit earned in another state’s public school teachers’ system to help you retire early. The out-of-state service will not be used in your benefit calculation and your benefit will be reduced based on how much earlier you can start receiving your benefit. To learn more, contact us by phone, e-mail, or mail.
18. How does membership in another system affect my retirement?

If you’re an active member in any of the retirement systems listed below and you once belonged to another of these systems, you may be eligible for benefits as a “dual member.”

  • Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS) Plans 1, 2 and 3
  • Teachers’ Retirement System (TRS) Plans 1, 2 and 3
  • School Employees’ Retirement System (SERS) Plans 2 and 3
  • Law Enforcement Officers’ and Fire Fighters’ Retirement System (LEOFF) Plan 2
  • Washington State Patrol Retirement System (WSPRS) Plans 1 and 2
  • Public Safety Employees’ Retirement System (PSERS) Plan 2
  • City Retirement Systems for Seattle, Spokane and Tacoma.
  • State-wide City Employees’ Retirement System (SCERS).

There are three advantages to being a dual member:

  • You can restore service credit you withdrew from a dual member system.
  • You can combine service credit to help you become eligible for service retirement.
  • You can use your highest “base salary” in a dual member system to calculate your service retirement benefit in other dual member systems.

To find out more about retiring as a dual member, see What is dual membership and how does it affect me?

If you were a member of SCERS, please call us at (360) 664-7000 or 1-800-547-6657 for information about dual membership with SCERS.

Updating Your Address and/or Name

Retirees, inactive members, beneficiaries and legal-order payees: You can update your address from your online retirement account. Just select “Address” from the welcome screen. If you need to update your name, fill out and send in a printed form as well as a copy of documentation showing the change.

Active members: Update your name and/or address through your employer. That new information will soon appear in your online retirement account.

Direct Deposit

Set up and manage direct deposit of your benefit payments from your online retirement account. Just follow the “Direct Deposit” directions under “My Account” in the navigation menu.

(If you prefer to fill out and mail in a printed form, select this link.)

Beneficiary Designation

Members, you can update your beneficiary information from your online retirement account. Select “My Account” in the navigation menu and then “View/Edit” beside “Beneficiary.”

(If you prefer to fill out and mail in a printed form, select this link.)