IRS Information

Refer to this list of IRS forms and tools to complete your important tax-related tasks. Before you fill out your forms or use the withholding calculator, you might want to speak with your tax advisor or the IRS if you have questions about your taxes.


Withholding certificate for pension or annuity payments. Use this form to tell payers the correct amount of federal income tax to withhold from your payment(s). You can send this form to the DRS mailing address. Note: The current version of the W-4P form says “2021” and is still accepted by DRS.


Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding. Note: This form is on the IRS website. Use the search function on the IRS website to locate the form.


Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification. Note: This form is on the IRS website. Use the search function on the IRS website to locate the form.

1099-R tax forms

Like the W-2 you receive when you’re employed, retirees have their own version of income reported to the IRS. This is a tax form called a 1099-R. 1099-R forms for the preceding tax year are normally mailed and posted in your online account near the end of January. See more about the 1099-R tax form.

Federal Income Tax Withholding Calculator

This tool is provided to assist you with your federal income tax withholding. The calculations are based on information you entered, and do not reflect the full complexity of federal income tax law. Contact your tax advisor or the IRS if you have questions about your taxes.

If you’re retired, you may sign into your online retirement account, and update your withholding by using a personalized calculator.

IRS plan types

DRS retirement plans

  • 401(a) All DRS retirement pension plans are 401a plans. This is a type of retirement plan made available to those working in government agencies, educational institutions, and non-profit organizations. More about your plan.
  • 457(b) The Deferred Compensation Program (DCP) is a 457 plan administered by DRS. DCP is similar to a 403b program. More about DCP.

Other common retirement plans

Department of Retirement Systems does not administer these plan types:

IRS limits

Higher income public employee pensions can be affected by IRS limits.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
The IRS administers the Internal Revenue Code enacted by Congress.

See your plan for more about limits:

Back to Top